Call for Submissions
A CERTAIN PERSUASION
Modern GLBTQIA fiction set in the Austenverse
Manifold Press is seeking stories set in and around Jane Austen’s novels and other writings, featuring GLBTQIA people as the main characters. Think Death at Pemberley only more fabulous, or Lost in Austen only queerer.
What other wickedness has Wickham got up to? What if Elinor Dashwood was repressing her love not for Edward but for a woman? I’m sure those rambunctious heroines of the Juvenilia didn’t bother repressing anything at all! And don’t get me started on all those ‘Rears and Vices’ in the Navy … Meanwhile, whose story might best be told by ‘a partial, prejudiced, & ignorant Historian’? What extravagant Gothic romances might Catherine Morland dream up, and could they be matched by Emma’s imaginative pairings? Would Lady Catherine de Bourgh have been a happier person if she’d been born a Lord? What choices might Charlotte Lucas make if she lived today? And how exactly do you explain Darcy’s unexpected friendship with Bingley?
Themes and formats might draw inspiration from ‘old-fashioned’ epistolary novels, or Austen’s ground-breaking role in creating the modern novel. Whether she was turning her hand to romances and companionate marriage or satire and social commentary, she was the first ‘to give the mundane its beautiful due’. We invite you to give Austen’s writings and characters their beautiful due, likewise.
- Editor: Julie Bozza
- All stories need to stand alone, whether or not they relate to any existing work.
- Sexual encounters are welcome, and can be explicit, but we love a focus on character and story.
- Story length: Between 3,000 and 10,000 words.
- Authors will be paid a flat fee or royalties, though the details have yet to be finalised.
- Submission deadline: 1 March 2016
- Planned publication date: 1 August 2016
- Enquiries and submissions to: email@example.com
- Click here for a PDF version of this page.
Please note: Unlike our previous anthology, this is not a charity project.